A322 sports centre roundabout improvements
Latest update - 7 June 2021
Construction work for this scheme starts on Monday 5 July and will last for about 14 weeks. During the works there will be lane closures on the roundabout and its approaches to make sure it is safe for the public and workforce.
Barriers to separate the works area from traffic will be set up overnight on Wednesday 7 July. There will be lane closures on the roundabout to carry out this work from 8pm.
At the start of the works it will be necessary to restrict lanes entering the roundabout, including along the A322. After the first 3 weeks, the scale of temporary traffic management will reduce and A322 traffic flow should improve for the rest of works.
We appreciate that this work will cause delays and so to ease traffic flow on this route we will be sign-posting an alternative route for through traffic between the Coral Reef junction and the Twin Bridges junction along the upgraded A3095.
Road and footway closures
The footway alongside Nightingale Crescent and Harmans Water Road will be closed between Opladen Way and the Sports Centre on:
- Monday 5 July for the duration of the works
The Nightingale Crescent and Opladen Way link will be closed in the eastbound direction (going towards Opladen Way between the roundabout and Opladen Way) on:
- Monday 5 July, 9:30am to 4pm
- Tuesday 6 July, 9:30am to 4pm
Signed diversion routes will be in place during the closures. These are shown on the map below.
Towards the end of construction we will need to have a series of about 6 closures of the junction so that a new road surface can be laid across the entire junction. We will publish these dates and times 2 weeks in advance with road signs and through this page.
About the improvements
The council has been successful in securing funds to undertake improvement works to the A322 Bagshot Road roundabout junction with South Hill Road and Nightingale Crescent and Harmans Water Road. This is known as the sports centre roundabout. The work is in partnership with the Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership.
This project delivers significant improvements to one of the main highway corridors in the Thames Valley Berkshire. It will help with traffic flow and reduce congestion between the M4 (junctions 8, 9 and 10) and M3 junction 3 and between Maidenhead, Reading, Wokingham, Bracknell, Bagshot and beyond.
This junction on the A322 experiences congestion which presents challenges for both northbound and southbound traffic movements, while also acting as a constraint to growth within Bracknell Forest and the wider region.
Once complete, the improvement scheme will contribute towards:
- more reliable journey times
- the ability for local residents to move more easily around the local road network
- reduced congestion which in turn will improve air quality
Other benefits of the scheme will include a new road surface, free from defects, which will reduce noise pollution.
The scheme consists of the following:
- widening of the north and southbound carriageways of the roundabout from 3 to 4 lanes - this will provide extra stacking space for traffic flowing east and west, while reducing the level of blocking for those travelling north and south
- widening of the Nightingale Crescent exit from 1 to 2 lanes to provide extra capacity for traffic heading from the roundabout into the Crown Wood and Hanworth areas - along Opladen Way and Harmans Water Road
- changes to the phasing of traffic signals to improve traffic flow
You can view the scheme design below.