Skip to main content

Apply to temporarily close a road or footway

A Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) must be made to allow road closures to take place. TTRO applications must be submitted a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks in advance of the date required.

Please be aware we cannot process your application without the relevant supporting documents. You will be given the option to upload or email these documents.

You will need:

  • to have a public liability insurance (minimum £5 million) which must be valid for the duration of the works
  • a street works supervisor qualification

You will need to give us:

  • a permit/works reference number
  • payer's details, including a purchase order number
  • a full description of the exact location of the work site
  • a description of the work being undertaken and the reason the road/highway needs to be closed
  • type of restrictions
  • proposed start and end date
  • proposed start and end time
  • list of roads which will form the diversion route
  • weight, height, width or any other restrictions on the diversion route
  • your public liability insurance certificate
  • your diversion route plan
  • your street works supervisor qualification
Start now

If you need to close a right of way, please visit temporarily close a right of way.