Skip to main content

Apply for a Section 171 licence

A Section 171 licence should be applied for if you wish to obtain permission to occupy the highway for:

  • placing automatic traffic counters
  • depositing building materials
  • placing access machinery, for example cherry picker, crane
  • tower cranes
  • signing, lighting and guarding

Please be aware we cannot process your application without the relevant supporting documents.

You will need to give us:

  • SWQR card to supervisor level
  • public liability insurance (minimum¬†¬£5 million) which must be valid for the duration of the works
  • traffic management plan
  • risk assessment
  • method statement
  • full accurate description of the works
  • form of traffic control you intend to use

You will be given the option to upload or email these documents.

We will review your application and send you an email with the cost and a link to an online payment form.

Start now