Skip to main content

Modifying the Definitive Map and Statement

Under section 53(5) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 any person may apply to the authority for an order to modify the Definitive Map and Statement of Public Rights of Way.

The authority is required to record all applications received for modification orders in its register of applications, within 28 days of receipt.

The register is available in the tables below with a copy of the application forms and maps. A hard copy version can be inspected by appointment at our Time Square office.

The authority will investigate the claim and aims to make a decision within 12 months. Depending on the outcome of the authority’s investigation into the evidence supporting the claim, a decision will be made whether or not to proceed with a modification order under section 53(2) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

If the authority refuses to make an order, the person applying may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Contact information

Parks and Countryside

Make an enquiry