Once part of the grounds of Pope’s Manor, this small 13.7-acre Green Flag awarded parkland located in Binfield is a valuable countryside resource for quiet informal recreation for the local community and provides a haven for wildlife. It was officially opened to the public in 1985 for recreation.
The site is named after Binfield’s most famous resident, the poet Alexander Pope (1688-1744) who lived in Pope’s Manor adjacent to the site.
Known for such works as ‘Pastorals’, ‘Essay on Criticism’ and ‘The Rape of the Lock’, Pope sang in the local choir and is also remembered locally for his poems on Windsor Forest and the River Lodden. Much of his work was written while living in the village.
A grove of beech trees called Pope’s Wood to the south of the village and the surrounding landscape is where the poet is said to have gained a great deal of inspiration.
The private grounds of Pope’s Manor are opened to the public once a year.
- holds a prestigious Green Flag Award and is designated a Local Wildlife Site
- is intersected by Bracknell Forest Ramblers Route, which enters off St Mark’s Road and waymarks guide walkers to an exit in the north-west corner
- has a play area for toddlers, a sport and kick about area (available for junior clubs to hire), a permanent orienteering course, cycle parking and an interpretation board detailing site information and events
- has a surfaced path providing good access from the car park to the pond, where a picnic bench is positioned to enhance enjoyment of the surroundings
- wildlife can be spotted in the pond, meadows and woodland
Pope’s Meadow is a quiet, countryside park with isolated pockets of the site separate from nearby urban areas, making it feel like you’ve stepped back in time.
How to get to Pope's Meadow
Pope’s Meadow car park is located off St Mark's Road, Binfield, Bracknell RG42 4AY.
The site is on the local bus route with a bus stop situated along St Marks Road. Visit Traveline to plan your journey.
Pope’s Meadow is managed as a Suitable Alternative Natural Greenspaces in order to create an enjoyable natural environment for recreation, away from the Thames Basin Heath Special Protection Area.
Ongoing work at the site includes nature conservation tasks, improved facilities and encouraging a greater community involvement through events and activities. For further information please take a look at the on-site noticeboards.
Pope's Meadow holds a Green Flag Award, which is the national excellence standard for parks management. The site has won the award every year since 2001/02 and has been praised for its access, facilities, maintenance and nature conservation.
Pope’s Meadow is a haven for wildlife consisting of open wood pasture, pond and copse.
The pasture area is managed as a traditional hay meadow and is home to wildflowers, insects and small mammals.
The large trees of the parkland (some of which are veteran) are mostly common or pedunculate oak, although there are also limes and conifers and a mixed hedge of native species. The pond is essential for supporting a variety of wildlife including, frogs, toads, damselflies and dragonflies.
The copse mainly consists of holly, oak, hawthorn, and hazel which provides good shelter for birds such as chaffinch, blackbird, thrush and robin. Shade-loving plants such as wood sorrel and bluebells can be found in the understorey and decaying wood is host to a wide variety of fungi.
Other management measures to try and encourage wildlife include the installation of stag beetle loggeries, bird boxes and hibernation places for toads called hibernacula.