Skip to main content

Building your own house

What is self-build and custom-build?

Self-build housing usually means that you are directly involved in organising the design and construction of your new home. Custom-build usually means working with a specialist developer to help you construct your home.

There may be some overlap between the two. For example, some custom-build developers offer the option of a serviced plot where you can design and build your own home as part of a larger scheme.

What is the self-build and custom-build register?

The government wants more people to be able to build or commission their own homes. To help achieve this, the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015, together with associated regulations, requires relevant authorities to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land in an authority's area.

The Bracknell Forest register will be used to help assess the demand for self/custom build in the borough and develop appropriate policies to help support this initiative.

Who is eligible to register?

The regulations state that you can apply to be added to the register as an individual or an association (a group of people wanting to build homes together) if you:

  • are aged 18 or over
  • are a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • are seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence

Contact information

Customer services

Make an enquiry