Parks and countryside service updates
Visiting your local parks
Our parks and open spaces are still open.
Where possible, please start and finish your walks from home, using the parks and open spaces nearest to you.
To find your nearest park, visit our parks pages.
Please follow the guidance on using outdoor spaces from GOV.UK.
Please be considerate of other park users and put litter or bagged dog waste in the bins provided. If bins are full or unavailable, please take your waste home with you.
Many of our car parks to green spaces are now open. However, please note that:
- Horseshoe Lake car park is closed every night, between the hours of 7pm until 7am
- Westmorland Park car park closes daily at 4pm until the following morning
These temporary closures are to prevent groups gathering in the car park when it gets dark, which leads to increased amounts of antisocial activity and is also against social distancing guidelines.
To support our car parks remaining open we ask that you take some simple steps, which include:
- only leave cars parked in a marked bay, where these are clearly marked
- please don’t queue in your car or circulate waiting for a space if the car park is full - if there is no space please try again later
- social distancing must be applied during the walk and when getting into and out of your car - this includes keeping 2 metres away from others and keeping dogs on leads
- please don’t use play areas, which remain closed according to government guidance
The Look Out car park will continue to be closed for safety reasons. This will be kept under review following the reopening of the other car parks in the borough.
Dog walkers should always keep their dogs on a lead. This is to avoid them chasing each other which could result in owners breaking social distancing guidelines to separate them.
Cycling in Swinley Forest
All paths in Swinley Forest are closed to cyclists.
Please do not cycle in the forest as any accidents will cause extra strain on local NHS resources at this difficult time.
More information is available on The Crown Estate mountain biking page.
Please do not use play areas and play equipment which have been closed for your safety.
Public rights of way
Only use your local public rights of way network for lawful access.
Membership to The Parks Tennis has reopened. For more details, please see our Tennis page.
Membership to the Westmorland Park Lawn Tennis club is currently suspended. We are awaiting information about when this will reopen.
Wash your hands
Please take hygiene precautions when you are outside, and wash your hands as soon as you are back indoors.