Skip to main content

Planning and arranging your support

Your care and support plan

Your care and support plan will set out how your needs will be met.

It considers:

  • what needs you have
  • what you want to achieve
  • what you can do by yourself, or with the support you already have
  • what types of care and support might be available to help you in the local area

We will work with you and any carer you have, and any other person you want to involve to create a plan that sets out the detail of what was agreed.

Personal budgets

As part of the planning process, we will talk to you about your personal budget. This is the amount of money that we have worked out it will cost to arrange your care and support.

This budget will include any amount that the council will pay towards those costs. This might range from all, to none of the total.

The personal budget will help you decide how much control you want to have over arranging your care and support, by seeing how much money is available.

Using this information, you may ask us for a direct payment so you can arrange your own care.

Direct payments

A direct payment is a payment of money from the council to either the person needing care and support, or to someone acting on their behalf, to pay for the cost of arranging all or part of their own support.

The council may make a direct payment instead of arranging or providing any services itself.

This makes sure the adult can take full control over their own care.

If you don’t think you’ll be able to manage, you can always nominate someone else to manage your payments for you.

You do not have to do this and you may ask the council to arrange the support for you.

Who is eligible?

Anybody who has been assessed as needing help from social care has a right to be considered for direct payments. These people include:

  • carers
  • older people
  • parents of a child with a disability
  • people with a disability aged 16 and over
  • people with mental health needs
  • people with learning disabilities

If there is a reason we can’t offer you direct payments, we’ll tell you.

How is the amount I receive calculated?

If your assessment means you have to pay a contribution towards your care costs, the amount of money you receive will depend on the level of support you need.

It will not differ if you decide to choose direct payments.

Direct payments are not treated as income, so are not taxable. For this reason they do not affect any benefits you may receive.

More information

For further information about direct payments, please contact us or visit the Department of Health website.

Contact information

Adult Social Care

Make an enquiry