Skip to main content

Care homes

Types of care

Care homes can provide 2 main types of care.

Residential care homes

A residential care home provides accommodation, meals, and personal care for people who are unable to safely manage at home.

Any nursing needs can be provided by a visiting district nurse.

Nursing homes

A nursing home provides accommodation, personal care, meals and around the clock nursing care.

Choosing a care home

When choosing a home, it is important to make sure it will be right for you both now and in the future. You can get information to help make this decision from:

  • a social care practitioner
  • a health care practitioner
  • your family doctor

You can also get free independent reports on local residential homes from the Care Quality Commission to help you make your choice.

We recommend you seek independent financial advice before making a final decision.

Please read the funding your own support booklet.

PDF iconFunding your own support851.13 KB

My Care My Home is an organisation offering advice, support and guidance for people who need support and who pay for this support themselves

Please see the Berkshire care directory for information about care homes in the surrounding area. Some of the care homes may fall under different local authority areas.

Age UK also provide care home information.

Assessing your needs

You can make your own arrangements to move into a residential or nursing care home.

You may contact us for an assessment of your needs to help you choose the right type of care home and to find out whether you are eligible for funding.

Paying for your care home

The scale of contributions you will be asked to pay is determined by your finances.

If you have more than £23,250 savings or capital it is likely you will be expected to pay the full cost of your residential care until your savings drop below this level.

If you have less than £23,250 savings or capital, the council will financially assess you to work out how much, if anything, you should contribute towards your support. You will pay the 'assessed contribution'.

More information about paying for care is available in the following documents:

Deferred payments

A deferred payment agreement is an arrangement with the council that will enable some people to use the value of their homes to fund care home costs.

See deferred payments for further information.

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry