The Mayor and Deputy Mayor
The Mayor said:
"I was a proud army officer for 8 years, and so it is with very real and great pleasure that I can support these 2 excellent organisations during my term of office. I believe that their work and projects are crucial to serving members of HM Forces, veterans, and families at home and overseas.
By supporting BFF and SSAFA, residents across the Borough of Bracknell Forest will be able to offer their own thanks to our service personnel, veterans and families for their huge contribution to community and country, and their sacrifices. We are fortunate to be home to many Forces families, and the Borough has very strong military connections."
The Mayor is a serving councillor elected to the office for one year at the Annual Council Meeting in May.
The Mayor’s responsibilities are:
- chairing full council meetings - the role of Mayor is not political and the Mayor has no formal power on decision making, except to chair council meetings
- making sure the council's constitution is followed
- organising and hosting a number of civic events
- representing the borough at ceremonial occasions
- supporting local schools, organisations and businesses by attending a wide range of events
The Deputy Mayor
Councillor Michael Gbadebo was re-elected Deputy Mayor on 28 April 2021 and will serve for a second term.
The Deputy Mayor attends events when the Mayor is unavailable.
Although there is no official role, the Deputy Mayor should be treated just like the Mayor as they are there on the Mayor’s behalf.
It is tradition at Bracknell Forest for the Deputy Mayor to be elected Mayor.
The Deputy Mayor may be invited to a function in their own right, but usually this only happens if they have a connection to the organisation or the event and has been approved by the Mayor.
It is more likely that they would be invited in their capacity as local Councillor.
Addressing the Mayoral party
To introduce the Mayoral party at your event and for invitations, written correspondence and publicity purposes:
- The Mayor of the Borough of Bracknell Forest, Councillor Ash Merry
- The Deputy Mayor of the Borough of Bracknell Forest, Councillor Michael Gbadebo
During an event:
- Mayor, Deputy Mayor