Planning Committee profile
Role of committee
The role of the committee is to determine applications for:
- planning permission
- variations to conditions
- matters relating to permitted development rights
- agreements regulating development or use of land
- matters relating to the preservation of trees
Membership of committee
This committee is appointed by the council. There are 18 elected members.
Why be on this committee?
As an elected member, you may want to join this committee if you:
- have a desire to support change and innovation through effective use of buildings and spaces
- have a thorough understanding of national and local regulations, and the ability to interpret and apply them fairly and consistently
- are open minded and show evidence-based decision-making
- have a calm approach under pressure
Key meeting details
Number of meetings
There are 12 meetings a year.
Day and time
The usual meeting days are Thursday at 7:30pm and Saturday at 10am.
If you join this committee, training will be arranged as part of the induction programme to help explain the role and responsibilities of the committee as well as begin to explain the legislation and policy background.
In addition to the committee meetings there are also site visits on Saturdays before the meeting and ongoing training to keep up to date with legislative changes.
Special payments for Chairman
There is a special payment of £7,239 for the Chairman. The Vice Chairman receives £723.