Skip to main content

Explosives licences

How to apply

You can use the application for a storage licence under the explosives regulations form to apply for or renew a licence.

Please read the guidance notes before completing the application form.

Please return the form and payment to the Trading Standards Team at Bracknell Forest Council and not the HSE.


You can view the fees on the HSE website.

Risk assessments

The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (MHSWR) and the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR) both require risk assessments to be undertaken. Therefore a risk assessment should be undertaken but you only need to record it if there are more than five people employed at the business.

Some useful guidelines have been produced by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) - storing and selling fireworks.


Methods of storage are as follows:

  • an ISO freight container
  • a dedicated store room
  • a fully enclosed substantial (small gauge) wire mesh compound (and still in transit packaging)
  • a demarcated area for an amount not exceeding 75kg, in their sealed/resealed transport packaging (this is not appropriate for small shops)
  • a substantial cupboard, cabinet, container or display case

The containers fireworks are stored in must be clearly labelled as storing fireworks. If the fireworks are stored inside an ISO freight container the label should be an orange diamond with a black 4 (the 4 refers to the category). Category 4 is retail fireworks.

Contact information

Trading standards

Make an enquiry