Skip to main content

Giving notice for marriages and civil partnerships


Once you have chosen and booked the venue for your wedding or civil partnership, you must give notice at your local register office.

Giving notice is a legal requirement to make sure that you are lawfully free to marry or form a civil partnership and to complete the preliminary legal documentation.

If you and your partner are British or European Economic Area Nationals and live in different districts, each of you must give notice in your own district. You must have been resident in the district for at least 7 full days.

If either of you is subject to immigration control you will both have to give notice at a designated office - the nearest to Bracknell are Reading or Slough. You can find out more on GOV.UK - giving notice at your local register office.

You must give at least 28 full days' notice. It is not possible to give notice more than 12 months in advance of your ceremony.

You need to make an appointment with the register office to give notice.

Church of England marriages

You do not usually need to give notice with the register office if you're getting married in a Church of England church. For more information about the arrangements that need to be made contact your local church.

Contact information

Bracknell Forest Register Office

Make an enquiry